As many as 1% of the world has epilepsy, but far more than will
have a seizure in their lifetime. Not everyone needs a seizure
medication, some people are even harmed by them. So who warrants
treatment, and what do you start with.
Consider today’s program an intro to AED decision making. For
educational purposes only, of course. Not to guide any healthcare
provider’s decision making.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music courtesy of Lee Rosevere,
Cellophane Sam, Jon Watts, Josh Woodward, and Rafael Archangel. The
opening theme was composed by Jimothy Dalton. Sound effects by Mike
Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless otherwise mentioned in the
podcast, no competing financial interests exist in the content of
this episode. BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended
for medical education only and should not be used for clinical
decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio
for the latest updates to the podcast.
- Hauser WA, Rich SS, Annegers JF and Anderson VE. Seizure
recurrence after a 1st unprovoked seizure: an extended follow-up.
- Randomized clinical trial on the efficacy of antiepileptic
drugs in reducing the risk of relapse after a first unprovoked
tonic-clonic seizure. First Seizure Trial Group (FIR.S.T. Group).
- Hui AC, Tang A, Wong KS, Mok V and Kay R. Recurrence after a
first untreated seizure in the Hong Kong Chinese population.
- Koepp MJ and Woermann FG. Imaging structure and function in
refractory focal epilepsy. The Lancet Neurology.
- Marson A, Jacoby A, Johnson A, Kim L, Gamble C, Chadwick D and
Medical Research Council MSG. Immediate versus deferred
antiepileptic drug treatment for early epilepsy and single
seizures: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet.
- Manjunath R, Davis KL, Candrilli SD and Ettinger AB.
Association of antiepileptic drug nonadherence with risk of
seizures in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav.
- Fountain NB. Choosing among antiepileptic drugs. Continuum
(Minneap Minn). 2010;16:121-35.
- Fisher RS, Acevedo C, Arzimanoglou A, Bogacz A, Cross JH, Elger
CE, Engel J, Jr., Forsgren L, French JA, Glynn M, Hesdorffer DC,
Lee BI, Mathern GW, Moshe SL, Perucca E, Scheffer IE, Tomson T,
Watanabe M and Wiebe S. ILAE official report: a practical clinical
definition of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2014;55:475-82.
- Krumholz A, Wiebe S, Gronseth GS, Gloss DS, Sanchez AM, Kabir
AA, Liferidge AT, Martello JP, Kanner AM, Shinnar S, Hopp JL and
French JA. Evidence-based guideline: Management of an unprovoked
first seizure in adults: Report of the Guideline Development
Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American
Epilepsy Society. Neurology. 2015;84:1705-13.
- Bouma HK, Labos C, Gore GC, Wolfson C and Keezer MR. The
diagnostic accuracy of routine electroencephalography after a first
unprovoked seizure. European journal of neurology : the
official journal of the European Federation of Neurological
- Leone MA, Giussani G, Nolan SJ, Marson AG and Beghi E.
Immediate antiepileptic drug treatment, versus placebo, deferred,
or no treatment for first unprovoked seizure. The Cochrane
database of systematic reviews. 2016:CD007144.