Dec 3, 2020
COVID-19 is more than just a threat to your physical health.
Even if you are never infected, you may not be free of it. In
today's program, we take lessons from prior pandemics and consider
the sociocultural effects of a global infectious disease.
Be advised, this one is of the "sentimental" variety.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music courtesy of Purple Planet
Music, Meydn, Kevin MacLeod and Shane Ivers, which you can find at
Silvermansound.com. The opening theme was composed by Jimothy
Dalton. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless
otherwise mentioned in the podcast, no competing financial
interests exist in the content of this episode. BrainWaves'
podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only
and should not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to
follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the
- Lozano R, Naghavi M, Foreman K, Lim S, Shibuya K, Aboyans V, et
al. Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20
age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global
Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet.
- Fineberg HV. Pandemic preparedness and response--lessons from
the H1N1 influenza of 2009. The New England journal of
- Shanks GD. Insights from unusual aspects of the 1918 influenza
pandemic. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2015;13:217-22.
- Armitage R and Nellums LB. COVID-19 and the consequences of
isolating the elderly. Lancet Public Health.
- Bonaccorsi G, Pierri F, Cinelli M, Flori A, Galeazzi A,
Porcelli F, Schmidt AL, Valensise CM, Scala A, Quattrociocchi W and
Pammolli F. Economic and social consequences of human mobility
restrictions under COVID-19. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.
- Dinmohamed AG, Visser O, Verhoeven RHA, Louwman MWJ, van
Nederveen FH, Willems SM, Merkx MAW, Lemmens V, Nagtegaal ID and
Siesling S. Fewer cancer diagnoses during the COVID-19 epidemic in
the Netherlands. Lancet Oncol. 2020;21:750-751.
- Jeffery MM, D'Onofrio G, Paek H, Platts-Mills TF, Soares WE,
3rd, Hoppe JA, Genes N, Nath B and Melnick ER. Trends in Emergency
Department Visits and Hospital Admissions in Health Care Systems in
5 States in the First Months of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the US.
JAMA internal medicine. 2020;180:1328-1333.
- Rabinovitz B, Jaywant A and Fridman CB. Neuropsychological
functioning in severe acute respiratory disorders caused by the
coronavirus: implications for the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Clin Neuropsychol. 2020:1-27.
- Santini ZI, Jose PE, York Cornwell E, Koyanagi A, Nielsen L,
Hinrichsen C, Meilstrup C, Madsen KR and Koushede V. Social
disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and symptoms of depression
and anxiety among older Americans (NSHAP): a longitudinal mediation
analysis. Lancet Public Health. 2020;5:e62-e70.
- Wong LE, et al. Where are all the patients? New Eng J
Med (2020): Published online 14 May 2020. Available at