Jun 25, 2020
It’s more than just a headache. Migraine is a disturbance of
normal neurological function, and as you are aware, it causes more
than just severe head pain. This week on BrainWaves, Dr. Deborah
Friedman (UT Southwestern) shares her experience evaluating and
managing the unusual neurologic manifestations of migraine that
aren’t just the misery from recurrent attacks.
Produced by James E. Siegler & Deborah Friedman. Music
courtesy of Josh Woodward, Kevin McLeod and Lee Rosevere. The
opening theme was composed by Jimothy Dalton. Sound effects by Mike
Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless otherwise mentioned in the
podcast, no competing financial interests exist in the content of
this episode. BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended
for medical education only and should not be used for clinical
decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio
for the latest updates to the podcast.
- Bianchin MM, Londero RG, Lima JE and Bigal ME. Migraine and
epilepsy: a focus on overlapping clinical, pathophysiological,
molecular, and therapeutic aspects. Curr Pain Headache
- Dreier JP, Reiffurth C, Woitzik J, Hartings JA, Drenckhahn C,
Windler C, Friedman A, MacVicar B, Herreras O and group Cs. How
spreading depolarization can be the pathophysiological correlate of
both migraine aura and stroke. Acta neurochirurgica
- Goadsby PJ. Unique Migraine Subtypes, Rare Headache Disorders,
and Other Disturbances. Continuum (Minneap Minn).
- Orr SL, Friedman BW, Christie S, Minen MT, Bamford C, Kelley NE
and Tepper D. Management of Adults With Acute Migraine in the
Emergency Department: The American Headache Society Evidence
Assessment of Parenteral Pharmacotherapies. Headache.
- Rozen TD, Niknam RM, Shechter AL, Young WB and Silberstein SD.
Cluster headache in women: clinical characteristics and comparison
with cluster headache in men. Journal of neurology,
neurosurgery, and psychiatry. 2001;70:613-7.
- Shah DR, Dilwali S and Friedman DI. Migraine Aura Without
Headache [corrected]. Curr Pain Headache Rep.
- Solomon S, Grosberg BM, Friedman DI and Lipton RB. Retinal
migraine. J Neuroophthalmol. 2007;27:243-4; author reply
- Tippin J, Corbett JJ, Kerber RE, Schroeder E and Thompson HS.
Amaurosis fugax and ocular infarction in adolescents and young
adults. Annals of neurology. 1989;26:69-77.
- Viana M, Tronvik EA, Do TP, Zecca C and Hougaard A. Clinical
features of visual migraine aura: a systematic review. J
Headache Pain. 2019;20:64.