May 14, 2020
Can you hear that too? You can’t? Well, that doesn’t mean I’m
having auditory hallucinations. It could just be tinnitus, which
describes the irritating sound of ringing, buzzing, clicking, or
hissing that affect 10-20% of the world's population. But is this a
ringing in the ears, or a ringing in the brain?
** IF YOU’RE TAKING YOUR NEUROLOGY BOARDS THIS SUMMER, CHECK OUT
THE PENN NEUROLOGY BOARD REVIEW COURSE AT
https://upenn.cloud-cme.com/default.aspx?P=5&EID=65373. AND FOR
A DISCOUNTED RATE ON THE ONLINE OR STREAMING RESOURCES, USE PROMO
CODE ‘WAVES2020’. **
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music courtesy of Andrew Sacco,
Jon Watts, Kai Engel, Lovira, Patches, and Kevin McLeod. Unless
otherwise mentioned in the podcast, no competing financial
interests exist in the content of this episode. Sound effects by
Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. BrainWaves' podcasts and online
content are intended for medical education only and should not be
used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter
@brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the podcast.
- Arenberg IK, Countryman LF, Bernstein LH and Shambaugh GE, Jr.
Van Gogh had Meniere's disease and not epilepsy. JAMA : the
journal of the American Medical Association.
- Sullivan M, Katon W, Russo J, Dobie R and Sakai C. A randomized
trial of nortriptyline for severe chronic tinnitus. Effects on
depression, disability, and tinnitus symptoms. Archives of
internal medicine. 1993;153:2251-9.
- Dobie RA. A review of randomized clinical trials in tinnitus.
- Lockwood AH, Salvi RJ, Burkard RF, Galantowicz PJ, Coad ML and
Wack DS. Neuroanatomy of tinnitus. Scand Audiol Suppl.
- Palomar Garcia V, Abdulghani Martinez F, Bodet Agusti E, Andreu
Mencia L and Palomar Asenjo V. Drug-induced otoxicity: current
status. Acta Otolaryngol. 2001;121:569-72.
- Crummer RW and Hassan GA. Diagnostic approach to tinnitus.
Am Fam Physician. 2004;69:120-6.
- Lockwood AH. Tinnitus. Neurol Clin. 2005;23:893-900,
- Mattox DE and Hudgins P. Algorithm for evaluation of pulsatile
tinnitus. Acta Otolaryngol. 2008;128:427-31.
- Han BI, Lee HW, Kim TY, Lim JS and Shin KS. Tinnitus:
characteristics, causes, mechanisms, and treatments. J Clin
- Langguth B, Kreuzer PM, Kleinjung T and De Ridder D. Tinnitus:
causes and clinical management. The Lancet Neurology.