Feb 6, 2020
The sole FDA approved indication for clobazam is as a
therapeutic adjunct in Lennox Gastaut Syndrome. But as more and
more clinicians publish their experience with the off-label success
of certain therapies, we may see new indications for this and other
pharmacologic agents in the treatment of neurologic disease.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Unless otherwise mentioned in the
podcast, no competing financial interests exist in the content of
this episode. Music courtesy of Chris Zabriskie, Milton Arias, and
John Bartmann. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion.
BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended for medical
education only and should not be used for clinical decision making.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest
updates to the podcast.
- Schmidt D, Rohde M, Wolf P and Roeder-Wanner U. Clobazam for
refractory focal epilepsy. A controlled trial. Archives of
- Keene DL, Whiting S and Humphreys P. Clobazam as an add-on drug
in the treatment of refractory epilepsy of childhood. Can J
Neurol Sci. 1990;17:317-9.
- Remy C. Clobazam in the treatment of epilepsy: a review of the
literature. Epilepsia. 1994;35 Suppl 5:S88-91.
- Montenegro MA, Cendes F, Noronha AL, Mory SB, Carvalho MI,
Marques LH and Guerreiro CA. Efficacy of clobazam as add-on therapy
in patients with refractory partial epilepsy. Epilepsia.
- Ng YT and Collins SD. Clobazam. Neurotherapeutics.
- Montenegro MA, Arif H, Nahm EA, Resor SR, Jr. and Hirsch LJ.
Efficacy of clobazam as add-on therapy for refractory epilepsy:
experience at a US epilepsy center. Clin Neuropharmacol.
- Mahmoud SH and Rans C. Systematic review of clobazam use in
patients with status epilepticus. Epilepsia Open.
- Bresnahan R, Martin-McGill KJ, Williamson J, Michael BD and
Marson AG. Clobazam add-on therapy for drug-resistant epilepsy.
The Cochrane database of systematic reviews.
YOUTUBE EXCERPTS (shared via fair use)
Kathryn Davis, MD (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania):
Patty McGoldrick, NP, MPA (Beth Israel Deaconness Medical
Center/Roosevelt Hospital): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE2BkYXqxJs&t=14s