Who doesn’t enjoy their sleep? For most of us, it can be the
most relaxing escape. And for others, a disturbance of sleep may be
the first clue to a neurodenerative condition.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Dr. Avidan reports that he
receives royalties from Elsevier, is a consultant for Merck, and is
a speaker for Eisai and Harmony. Music for our program today was by
Andy Cohen, Purple Planet Music, Steve Combs, Yan Terrien, and
Shane Ivers, whose music can be found at silvermansound.com. Our
theme song was composed by Jimothy Dalton. Voiceover was courtesy
of Taryn Hester. The opening theme was composed by Jimothy Dalton.
Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless otherwise
mentioned in the podcast, no competing financial interests exist in
the content of this episode. BrainWaves' podcasts and online
content are intended for medical education only and should not be
used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter
@brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the podcast.
- Boeve BF, Silber MH, Ferman TJ, Lucas JA and Parisi JE.
Association of REM sleep behavior disorder and neurodegenerative
disease may reflect an underlying synucleinopathy. Mov
- Gilat M, Coeytaux Jackson A, Marshall NS, Hammond D, Mullins
AE, Hall JM, Fang BAM, Yee BJ, Wong KKH, Grunstein RR and Lewis
SJG. Melatonin for rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder in
Parkinson's disease: A randomised controlled trial. Mov
- Lloyd R, Tippmann-Peikert M, Slocumb N and Kotagal S.
Characteristics of REM sleep behavior disorder in childhood. J
Clin Sleep Med. 2012;8:127-31.
- Malhotra R and Avidan AY. Neurodegenerative Disease and REM
Behavior Disorder. Current treatment options in neurology.
- McGrane IR, Leung JG, St Louis EK and Boeve BF. Melatonin
therapy for REM sleep behavior disorder: a critical review of
evidence. Sleep Med. 2015;16:19-26.
- Porter VR and Avidan AY. Clinical Overview of REM Sleep
Behavior Disorder. Semin Neurol. 2017;37:461-470.
- Shin C, Park H, Lee WW, Kim HJ, Kim HJ and Jeon B. Clonazepam
for probable REM sleep behavior disorder in Parkinson's disease: A
randomized placebo-controlled trial. Journal of the
neurological sciences. 2019;401:81-86.
- St Louis EK, Boeve AR and Boeve BF. REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
in Parkinson's Disease and Other Synucleinopathies. Mov
- St Louis EK and Boeve BF. REM Sleep Behavior Disorder:
Diagnosis, Clinical Implications, and Future Directions. Mayo
Clinic proceedings. 2017;92:1723-1736.
- Teigen LN, Sharp RR, Hirsch JR, Campbell E, Timm PC, Sandness
DJ, Feemster JC, Gossard TR, Faber SM, Steele TA, Rivera S, Junna
MR, Lipford MC, Tippmann-Peikert M, Kotagal S, Ju YE, Howell M,
Schenck CH, Videnovic A, Jennum P, Hogl B, Stefani A, Arnulf I,
Heidbreder A, Lewis S, McCarter SJ, Boeve BF, Silber MH and St
Louis EK. Specialist approaches to prognostic counseling in
isolated REM sleep behavior disorder. Sleep Med.