Jan 23, 2020
In a patient with isolated, progressive hand numbness and
weakness, there is a much to be learned about the clinical exam.
Often, its all you need. This week, Dr. Aakriti Kothiwal (Cooper
University Hospital) presents this week's clinical case and helps
localize the lesion.
Produced by James E. Siegler and Aakriti Kothiwal. Music
courtesy of Jazzar, Lee Rosevere, and Loyalty Freak Music. Sound
effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. BrainWaves' podcasts and
online content are intended for medical education only and should
not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on
Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the
- Gross PT and Jones HR, Jr. Proximal median neuropathies:
electromyographic and clinical correlation. Muscle Nerve.
- Gross PT and Tolomeo EA. Proximal median neuropathies.
Neurol Clin. 1999;17:425-45, v.
- Peters N, Muller-Schunk S, Freilinger T, During M, Pfefferkorn
T and Dichgans M. Ischemic stroke of the cortical "hand knob" area:
stroke mechanisms and prognosis. Journal of neurology.
- Bouche P. Compression and entrapment neuropathies. Handbook
of clinical neurology. 2013;115:311-66.
- Padua L, Coraci D, Erra C, Pazzaglia C, Paolasso I, Loreti C,
Caliandro P and Hobson-Webb LD. Carpal tunnel syndrome: clinical
features, diagnosis, and management. The Lancet Neurology.
- Aamodt WW, Siegler JE and Elman L. Teaching NeuroImages: Acute
infarction of the left medial lemniscus masquerading as a
peripheral neuropathy. Neurology. 2017;88:e178.
- Hobson-Webb LD and Juel VC. Common Entrapment Neuropathies.
Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2017;23:487-511.