Jul 11, 2019
In this week's Teaching through Clinical Cases, Dr. Olga
Rosenveld Thon (Drexel) walks us through the challenging management
decisions that emerge in the care of women with demyelinating
disease. Why are women prone to multiple sclerosis? How do
pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause influence the disease
course--and should these events alter the course of their
Produced by James E. Siegler and Olga Thon. Music courtesy of
Cellophane Sam, Chris Zabriskie, Jon Watts, Kai Engel, and Lee
Rosevere. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion.
BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended for medical
education only and should not be used for clinical decision making.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest
updates to the podcast.
Dr. Rosenveld Thon reports relevant financial interests in
Ocrevus, as a consultant.
- Michel L, Foucher Y, Vukusic S, Confavreux C, de Seze J,
Brassat D, Clanet M, Clavelou P, Ouallet JC, Brochet B, Pelletier
J, Labauge P, Lebrun C, Lepage E, Le Frere F, Jacq-Foucher M,
Barriere P, Wiertlewski S, Laplaud DA and Club Francophone de la
Sclerose En P. Increased risk of multiple sclerosis relapse after
in vitro fertilisation. Journal of neurology, neurosurgery, and
- Nielsen NM, Westergaard T, Rostgaard K, Frisch M, Hjalgrim H,
Wohlfahrt J, Koch-Henriksen N and Melbye M. Familial risk of
multiple sclerosis: a nationwide cohort study. American journal
of epidemiology. 2005;162:774-8.
- Confavreux C, Hutchinson M, Hours MM, Cortinovis-Tourniaire P
and Moreau T. Rate of pregnancy-related relapse in multiple
sclerosis. Pregnancy in Multiple Sclerosis Group. The New
England journal of medicine. 1998;339:285-91.
- Bove R and Chitnis T. The role of gender and sex hormones in
determining the onset and outcome of multiple sclerosis.
Multiple sclerosis. 2014;20:520-6.
- Bove R. Women's Issues in Multiple Sclerosis. Semin
- Rankin K and Bove R. Caring for Women with Multiple Sclerosis
Across the Lifespan. Current neurology and neuroscience
- Ramagopalan SV, Dobson R, Meier UC and Giovannoni G. Multiple
sclerosis: risk factors, prodromes, and potential causal pathways.
The Lancet Neurology. 2010;9:727-39.
- Correale J, Farez MF and Ysrraelit MC. Increase in multiple
sclerosis activity after assisted reproduction technology.
Annals of neurology. 2012;72:682-94.
- Bove R, Chitnis T and Houtchens M. Menopause in multiple
sclerosis: therapeutic considerations. Journal of