Jun 27, 2019
In episode 142, Jim Siegler is joined by Dr. Deena Kuruvilla
(Yale University School of Medicine) to discuss the 5 trigeminal
autonomic cephalalgias--what we know about the pathophysiology, the
diagnostic criteria, and current and future management
Produced by James E. Siegler and Deena Kuruvilla. Music courtesy
of Ars Sonor, Axletree, Kevin McLeod, Lee Rosevere, and Steve
Combs. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. BrainWaves'
podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only
and should not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to
follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the
- Goadsby PJ. Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. Continuum
(Minneap Minn). 2012;18:883-895
- Lambru G, Matharu MS. Sunct, suna and trigeminal neuralgia:
Different disorders or variants of the same disorder? Curr Opin
- Akram H, Miller S, Lagrata S, Hyam J, Jahanshahi M, Hariz M, et
al. Ventral tegmental area deep brain stimulation for refractory
chronic cluster headache. Neurology.
- Miller S, Akram H, Lagrata S, Hariz M, Zrinzo L, Matharu M.
Ventral tegmental area deep brain stimulation in refractory
short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks.
- McGeeney BE. Cluster headache and other trigeminal autonomic
cephalalgias. Semin Neurol. 2018;38:603-607
- Khan S, Olesen A, Ashina M. Cgrp, a target for preventive
therapy in migraine and cluster headache: Systematic review of
clinical data. Cephalalgia. 2019;39:374-389
Dr. Kuruvilla serves as a consultant for Lilly and Amgen