Feb 22, 2018
Risk factors for ALS: Family history, male sex, and serving in
the US military? Dr. Colin Quinn shares his experience working with
American veterans and summarizes the evidence for this unusual
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music by Jon Watts, Josh Woodward,
Lee Rosevere, Unheard Music Concepts, and The United States Army
Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. Voiceover by Erika Mejia.
BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended for medical
education and entertainment purposes only.
- Haley RW. Excess incidence of ALS in young Gulf War veterans.
- Kasarskis EJ, Lindquist JH, Coffman CJ, Grambow SC, Feussner
JR, Allen KD, Oddone EZ, Kamins KA, Horner RD and Als Gulf War
Clinical Review T. Clinical aspects of ALS in Gulf War veterans.
Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2009;10:35-41.
- Al-Chalabi A and Hardiman O. The epidemiology of ALS: a
conspiracy of genes, environment and time. Nature reviews
- Weisskopf MG, O'Reilly EJ, McCullough ML, Calle EE, Thun MJ,
Cudkowicz M and Ascherio A. Prospective study of military service
and mortality from ALS. Neurology. 2005;64:32-7.
- Horner RD, Kamins KG, Feussner JR, Grambow SC, Hoff-Lindquist
J, Harati Y, Mitsumoto H, Pascuzzi R, Spencer PS, Tim R, Howard D,
Smith TC, Ryan MA, Coffman CJ and Kasarskis EJ. Occurrence of
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis among Gulf War veterans.