Jul 27, 2017
The first seizure of life is a common presentation requiring a
neurology consultation. In this episode, Dr. Brian Hanrahan of the
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, discusses his approach to
counseling an adult patient with a first ever seizure, with a
particular emphasis on driving safety.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music by Axletree, Josh Woodward,
and Kevin McLeod. Voiceover by Emma Smrstik. BrainWaves' podcasts
and online content are intended for medical education only and
should not be used for clinical decision making. Think responsibly.
Podcasts are no excuse NOT to treat a patient who is seizing.
- Maganti RK and Rutecki P. EEG and epilepsy monitoring.
Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2013;19:598-622.
- Smith SJ. EEG in the diagnosis, classification, and management
of patients with epilepsy. Journal of neurology, neurosurgery,
and psychiatry. 2005;76 Suppl 2:ii2-7.
- Sofat P, Teter B, Kavak KS, Gupta R and Li P. Time interval
providing highest yield for initial EEG in patients with new onset
seizures. Epilepsy Res. 2016;127:229-232.
- Krumholz A, Shinnar S, French J, Gronseth G and Wiebe S.
Evidence-based guideline: Management of an unprovoked first seizure
in adults: Report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the
American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society.
- Richards KC. Patient page. The risk of fatal car crashes in
people with epilepsy. Neurology. 2004;63:E12-3.
- Krumholz A. Driving issues in epilepsy: past, present, and
future. Epilepsy Curr. 2009;9:31-5.
- Temkin NR, Dikmen SS, Wilensky AJ, Keihm J, Chabal S and Winn
HR. A randomized, double-blind study of phenytoin for the
prevention of post-traumatic seizures. The New England journal
of medicine. 1990;323:497-502.
- Thompson K, Pohlmann-Eden B, Campbell LA and Abel H.
Pharmacological treatments for preventing epilepsy following
traumatic head injury. The Cochrane database of systematic
- Deutschman CS and Haines SJ. Anticonvulsant prophylaxis in
neurological surgery. Neurosurgery. 1985;17:510-7.
- van Breemen MS, Wilms EB and Vecht CJ. Epilepsy in patients
with brain tumours: epidemiology, mechanisms, and management.
The Lancet Neurology. 2007;6:421-30.
- Hemphill JC, 3rd, Greenberg SM, Anderson CS, Becker K, Bendok
BR, Cushman M, Fung GL, Goldstein JN, Macdonald RL, Mitchell PH,
Scott PA, Selim MH, Woo D, American Heart Association Stroke C,
Council on C, Stroke N and Council on Clinical C. Guidelines for
the Management of Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Guideline
for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart
Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke; a journal of
cerebral circulation. 2015;46:2032-60.