Oct 3, 2019
Sara Henya would have you recognize her for her music, not her
malady. While she may have Tourette Syndrome, she refuses to let it
define her. In this week's episode of BrainWaves, we're launching a
two part series featuring people who are living with a chronic
neurologic illness--how they were diagnosed, how they cope with it,
and of course, the neurobiology that underlies it.
Produced by James E. Siegler with Dr. Michael Rubenstein and
Sara Henya. Music courtesy of Sara Henya (find her music at
Rosevere, Loyalty Freak Music, Marco Trovatello, and Steve Combs.
Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. BrainWaves'
podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only
and should not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to
follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the
- Pringsheim T, Holler-Managan Y, Okun MS, Jankovic J, Piacentini
J, Cavanna AE, Martino D, Muller-Vahl K, Woods DW, Robinson M,
Jarvie E, Roessner V and Oskoui M. Comprehensive systematic review
summary: Treatment of tics in people with Tourette syndrome and
chronic tic disorders. Neurology. 2019;92:907-915.
- Pringsheim T, Okun MS, Muller-Vahl K, Martino D, Jankovic J,
Cavanna AE, Woods DW, Robinson M, Jarvie E, Roessner V, Oskoui M,
Holler-Managan Y and Piacentini J. Practice guideline
recommendations summary: Treatment of tics in people with Tourette
syndrome and chronic tic disorders. Neurology.
- Swain JE, Scahill L, Lombroso PJ, King RA and Leckman JF.
Tourette syndrome and tic disorders: a decade of progress. J Am
Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:947-68.
- Bruun RD. Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome. An overview of
clinical experience. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry.
- Robertson MM. Tourette syndrome, associated conditions and the
complexities of treatment. Brain. 2000;123 Pt
- Yael D, Vinner E and Bar-Gad I. Pathophysiology of tic
disorders. Mov Disord. 2015;30:1171-8.
- Pauls DL and Leckman JF. The inheritance of Gilles de la
Tourette's syndrome and associated behaviors. Evidence for
autosomal dominant transmission. The New England journal of
- Jankovic J, Jimenez-Shahed J and Brown LW. A randomised,
double-blind, placebo-controlled study of topiramate in the
treatment of Tourette syndrome. Journal of neurology,
neurosurgery, and psychiatry. 2010;81:70-3.