Nov 8, 2018
A patient comes into the emergency department. They've got a
headache. You get some basic labs, a chest x-ray, a CT scan. And
then you get a drug screen. But does this information even help
you? And could it hurt the patient?
This week on the BrainWaves podcast, Dr. Emily Rosenthal shares
her experience with Dr. Kelley Humbert on the ethics of toxicology
"screening" and how she manages patients with a substance use
Produced by Emily Rosenthal, Kelley Humbert, and Jim Siegler.
Music by Montplaisir, Lee Rosevere, and Kevin McLeod. Sound effects
by Mike Koenig, Daniel Simion. BrainWaves' podcasts and online
content are intended for medical education only and should not be
used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter
@brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the podcast.
- Bates GP, Dorsey R, Gusella JF, Hayden MR, Kay C, Leavitt BR,
Nance M, Ross CA, Scahill RI, Wetzel R, Wild EJ and Tabrizi SJ.
Huntington disease. Nat Rev Dis Primers.
- Silver B, Miller D, Jankowski M, Murshed N, Garcia P, Penstone
P, Straub M, Logan SP, Sinha A, Morris DC, Katramados A, Russman
AN, Mitsias PD and Schultz LR. Urine toxicology screening in an
urban stroke and TIA population. Neurology.
- Eisen JS, Sivilotti ML, Boyd KU, Barton DG, Fortier CJ and
Collier CP. Screening urine for drugs of abuse in the emergency
department: do test results affect physicians' patient care
decisions? CJEM. 2004;6:104-11.
- Smith PC, Schmidt SM, Allensworth-Davies D and Saitz R. A
single-question screening test for drug use in primary care.
Archives of internal medicine. 2010;170:1155-60.
- Lager PS, Attema-de Jonge ME, Gorzeman MP, Kerkvliet LE and
Franssen EJF. Clinical value of drugs of abuse point of care
testing in an emergency department setting. Toxicol Rep.
- Tenenbein M. Do you really need that emergency drug screen?
Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2009;47:286-91.
- Jones HE, Kaltenbach K, Heil SH, Stine SM, Coyle MG, Arria AM,
O'Grady KE, Selby P, Martin PR and Fischer G. Neonatal abstinence
syndrome after methadone or buprenorphine exposure. The New
England journal of medicine. 2010;363:2320-31.