May 10, 2018
There is a nationwide epidemic happening right now. And it's not
some terrible virus, it's not because of anything we've had to eat
or drink. It is an occupational hazard of the hospital environment:
Physician suicide. Dr. Pamela Wible, Founder of the Ideal Medical
Care Movement, shares her unique approach to this preventable
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music by Andrew Sacco, Damiano
Baldoni, Kevin McLeod, Jason Shaw, and Rafael Archangel. Voiceover
by Patrick Green. BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are
intended for medical education only and should not be used for
clinical decision making.
- Kesselheim AS and Austad KE. Residents: workers or students in
the eyes of the law? The New England journal of medicine.
- Witte TK, Fitzpatrick KK, Joiner TE, Jr. and Schmidt NB.
Variability in suicidal ideation: a better predictor of suicide
attempts than intensity or duration of ideation? J Affect
- Goldman ML, Shah RN and Bernstein CA. Depression and suicide
among physician trainees: recommendations for a national response.
JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72:411-2.
- Schernhammer E. Taking their own lives -- the high rate of
physician suicide. The New England journal of medicine.
- Schernhammer ES and Colditz GA. Suicide rates among physicians:
a quantitative and gender assessment (meta-analysis). Am J
- Sen S, Kranzler HR, Krystal JH, Speller H, Chan G, Gelernter J
and Guille C. A prospective cohort study investigating factors
associated with depression during medical internship. Archives
of general psychiatry. 2010;67:557-65.